Easy And Delicious Eating At Home
Pittsburgh offers comforting foods like Philly cheesesteak, many burger options, chipped chopped ham sandwiches, and pierogis, to just name a few.
With so many tempting foods, it’s easy to crave takeout and order food delivery from local places as often as possible. While you may enjoy the foods you’re receiving, they are likely not conducive to healthy eating.
If your schedule is hectic every day, it may seem like there are no options for eating healthy. However, plenty of Pittsburgh meal delivery services can help you maintain a balanced and healthy diet.
This article will review Pittsburgh’s best meal delivery services, with details on what to expect from each and some recommended meals to try.
What Is A Meal Delivery Service, And How Is It Different From A Food Delivery Service?
A meal delivery service provides fresh meals and meal kits with a changing weekly menu that you can receive directly to your home. The service is usually a subscription service, and the kits and ready meals include pre-portioned ingredients that are nutritious and high-quality.
These meal delivery service companies – like Sunbasket, Dinnerly, and Home Chef – offer chef-created meals with dietician-backed recipes.
Food delivery services are any options like Uber Eats, or Grubhub, where foods are delivered from local and chain restaurants to you. These meals can be heavy on the pocket, and usually arrive in overly large portions and excessive grease and salt. Plus, the ingredient quality is not guaranteeed.
Short On Time? Here Are Our Best Pittsburgh PA Meal Delivery Services To Try:
Below you’ll find the best Pittsburgh meal delivery services so you can find one that fits your lifestyle.
Organic Premade Healthy Meals and Meal Kits
Sunbasket is an excellent option for those with a busy schedule who want Non-GMO, locally sourced organic ingredients on their regular menu.
This meal-delivery service offers meal kits and prepared meals that you only need to heat up via microwave or oven. Each week, you can pick from over 30 easy-to-make recipes with options, including options that support diest like low-carb, gluten-free, vegan, Mediterranean, pescatarian, and more.
Chefs and dieticians work together to create Sunbasket’s meals for nutrition-packed delicious meals delivered to your door every week.
Choose Sunbasket If You Want:
- Healthy meal delivery with locally sourced organic ingredients
- Options for under 20-minute meal kits to make life easier
- Microwave-ready individual meals for nights you don’t have time to cook
- Paleo, low-carb, low-calorie, and vegetarian options are available for selection
- A large variety of delicious meals that vary each week
- Seasonal fresh add-on items like healthy snacks, extra protein packs, fast breakfast, and more.
Sample Menu Options From Sunbasket:
- Gyro-spiced chicken bowl with brown rice, fresh slaw, and yogurt sauce
- San Francisco scramble with turkey, spinach, and mushrooms
- Lemongrass beef over “zoodles” with pickled radishes and carrots
Chef-Created Meals For Restaurant-Quality Dinners
Blue Apron provides expertly crafted dinners that will make you feel like you’re eating at a fine dining establishment.
The Blue Apron meal kits are great for those with busy schedules as they can all be cooked in 20-40 minuts, with most meals take between 25-35 minutes.The menu also feature a few pre-cooked meals, ready to heat in the microwave. Those delicious fresh meals are designed for nights with no spare time to cook.
Each meal provides nutritional and ingredients information, making it easy to ensure you know what you eat.
Choose Blue Apron If You Want:
- Prepared meal options and meal kits with delightfull taste
- high-quality ingredients with every meal
- Ability to add in a bottle of wine from their market, or other kitchen necessities
- Meals that cater to certain dietary needs like wellness recommended meals and low-carb options
- Quick meal options that can be heated in the microwave
- Transparency on how long each recipe will take before selecting it
Sample Menu Options From Blue Apron:
- Pancetta & onion jam cheeseburger with smoky fingerlings
- Seared tilapia & creamy cilantro sauce with vegetable barley & pepitas
- Lentil & farro stuffed peppers with fontina & romesco sauce
- Ginger pork & beef meatballs with rice & sautéed vegetables
- Orange & brown butter chicken with collard greens & garlic rice
Oven, Grill, And Microwave-Friendly Meals – For Easy Meal Time!
Home Chef is an excellent meal delivery option for those newer to cooking but who want to enjoy home-cooked meals with high-quality ingredients.
You’ll also find family-friendly meals when using Home Chef. Plus, you can customize your weekly order for up to six people.
Home Chef features options for adding protein and protein swaps in each box. You can also find vegetarian-friendly meals and low-calorie options.
Choose Home Chef If You Want:
- Customization options for additional protein
- Heat and eat microwave meals available for the convenience of those with busy schedules
- Meals that can fit low-calorie, low-carb, and vegetarian diets
- Over 30 recipes and premade meals to choose from each week
- Menu options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, and meat packs
Sample Menu Options From Home Chef:
- Coq au vin with mashed potatoes
- Fried chicken with chipotle ranch and cilantro-garlic potatoes
- Maple dijon-glazed salmon with broccoli and peppers
- Poblano chicken tacos with chipotle lime slaw
- heat and eat breakfast – Eggs, Uncured Bacon, and Cheese Burrito
Go-To Meal Delivery Service For Tasty, Budget-Friendly Meals
Dinnerly is ideal for singles, couples, and families who want easy and balanced homemade meals without running to the grocery store or breaking the pockets – with meal-price that start at only $4.69 per serving!
The Dinnerly meal delivery service provides options for those seeking low-calorie, vegetarian, or low carb keto-friendly meals.
With 30-minute meals available, it’s easy to fit Dinnerly meal kits into your weekly meal prep.
Choose Dinnerly If You Want:
- Affordable meals for budget-conscious singles, couples, and families on the budget
- Many options for lunch, dinner, and desserts to choose from
- Vegetarian, keto, low-carb diet menu options
- Simple recipes that are easy to make
- Family-friendly options with some meals under 30 minutes
Sample Dishes From Dinnerly:
- Easy peas-y tortelloni alfredo with melted parmesan cheese
- Crispy ranch fish sticks with oven fries & mayochup
- Grass-fed ground beef & cheddar cheese quesadillas with corn
- Open-faced portobello “cheesesteak” sandwich with oven fries
- Grilled chicken in cilantro & lime juice marinade with Bell Pepper Rice Pilaf
Most Popular Meal Kit Company With Easy, Quick Meals Delivered
Hello Fresh is a top choice for many people in Pittsburgh and other locations in the US because of the ease of cooking recipes and the delicious chef-curated classic meals included on the menu.
Most meals found on Hello Fresh are designed to be ready in 30 minutes or less, and feature fresh produce and local-farms high-quality ingredients.
You can set your food preference for your subscription to make choosing recipes each week easier. You can also set the subscription to surprise you with the best matching meals for you.
The Hello Fresh menu features recipes to support a few popular diet lifestyles – vegetarian meals, low-calorie options, seafood-free, low-carb, and more.
Choose Hello Fresh If You Want:
- Meals options that you can customize based on diet restrictions like vegetarian, low-calorie, and carb-smart
- To treat your family with family-friendly meals that even your pickiest eaters can enjoy
- Pre-portioned ingredients to help minimize food waste
- Many meal options to choose from – about 25 each week
- Ability to remake takeout favorites at home in under 30 minutes
Sample Dishes From Hello Fresh:
- Firecracker meatballs with roasted green beans & jasmine rice
- Shroom’ n’ swiss pork burgers with potato wedges & a creamy honey dijon dipper
- Pasta primavera with lemon sauce and veggies like bell pepper, zucchini & peas
- Beef au Poivre & cheesy potato gratin with a pear & pecan salad
- Cheddar cheese crusted chicken with buttery mashed sweet potatoes and broccoli