Hello Fresh is the #1 well-known meal kit delivery service in the US. The company offers a simple subscription method: pick a plan, get your meal kit box, and cook fun dinners at home, with chef-created recipes that are usually delicious and remain simple and easy to cook.
While Hello Fresh is a great meal delivery option for many, you may want to explore other meal kit plans that provide services that are just as good or even better than Hello Fresh. Those will help you with easy meal planning and fewer grocery shopping trips.
Hello Fresh Best Meal Delivery Services
1. Blue Apron
#1 Hello Fresh Meal Kits Competitor
Blue Apron is one of the most well-known meal kit delivery services, and it is with no doubt a main Hello Fresh competitor that you must look at.
Blue Apron specializes in high-quality chef-designed meals that will make you try new tastes, just like dining out at a good restaurant.
The company offers an extensive menu, including more than 20 exciting and diverse recipes every week, including some microwave-ready meals and dessert options.
Blue Apron Main Qualities
- Weekly delivery box with everything you needed for gourmet meals at home.
- Cheaper than most usual takeout options.
- Variety of over 20 Blue Apron meals per week.
- Quick-meals with 20-45 minutes prep time.
- Recipes for both experienced Home Chefs and beginners in the kitchen.
- A Few microwave-ready meals every week.
- Good customer service.
- One of the largest and most popular meal delivery services in the US
- A menu that supports different diets – vegetarian, carb-conscious, low calories, and Weight Watchers.
2. Sun Basket
Similar to HelloFresh Meal Kit, But Organic and Healthier!
Sun Basket is a fantastic home meal delivery service known for its excellent healthy meals. If you’re someone looking for a healthy lifestyle, Sun Basket is your go-to service.
Sun Basket offers an extensive menu, including over 40 recipes and prepared meals per week, full of fresh and organic produce.
The recipes are designed to be easy to cook and often include even international ingredients and flavors for more variety. Each recipe is developed by a chef and evaluated and approved by a nutritionist to ensure its nutritional value.
On top of their great variety of meals, Sun Basket is also strongly environmentally conscious – most of the Sun Basket packaging is 100% recyclable!
The options for special diets are nearly endless with Sun Basket. You can choose options like carb-conscious, paleo, vegan, gluten-free, diabetes-friendly, and Mediterranean—as well as a few more. There are also 15-minute meals and even pre-cooked fresh meals available for anyone who doesn’t have spare time to spend in the kitchen.
When you build your basket every week, you can choose a pre-structured basket or create your custom delivery. Plus, you also have the option of add-ons to your delivery, from fresh proteins, homemade pasta, healthy snacks, and more.
With Sunbasket, you’re not obligated to anything. You can decide to cancel the following week, skip weeks when needed, or just order as a one-time delivery.
Sun Basket Main Benefits
- Tasteful and healthy meals.
- AMAZING variety of 40+ recipes and pre-made meals every week.
- Organic and farm-fresh ingredients.
- Wide variety of different dietary options – Paleo, Vegan, Gluten-free, Low-carb, vegetarian meals, and more.
- Nutritionist-approved meals.
- Add-on marketplace.
- Eco-friendly packaging.
- Option for a one-time order or a subscription.
Most Affordable Alternative to HelloFresh Meal Kit Service
Dinnerly is an excellent alternative to Hello Fresh, especially if you watch your budget and look for a more cost-effective meal kit service. To put it in simple words – Dinnerly is the cheapest meal-kit delivery service we know, with a cost of less than $5 per serving!
Dinnerly has not been around for long, but it rapidly gains an excellent reputation. It is focused on delivering no-fuss, super-affordable meal kits filled with quality ingredients and recipes that are easy to make. The company offers a changing menu of 20 dishes every week to its customers.
The cheaper pricing of their meal kits does not mean that Dinnerly cuts corners on the standard of their meals. Instead, the ingredients sent are high quality, just like other meal kit companies like Hello Fresh!
Dinnerly keeps their prices low by keeping their recipes simple, using fewer ingredients per recipe, digital recipe cards rather than paper ones, and way less packaging. The company also avoids any expensive marketing campaigns.
Here is the Breakdown of Dinnerly Great Qualities
- Most affordable meal kit service in America – with meals starting at less than $5!
- 20+ new recipe choices every week – six ingredients per recipe – less fuss with lots of flavors.
- Two meal plans are available: a two-person and a four-person family plan.
- Few desserts and protein packs are available as add-ons to your delivery.
- Quality ingredients combined with simple-to-cook recipes.
- Support diets like gluten-free, dairy-free, low carb, low-calorie, and vegetarian.
- Skip any week that doesn’t suit you or pause your account at any time.
4. Home Chef
Easy-Prep Meal Kit Subscription Service
Home Chef is another top Hello Fresh alternative on our list, especially since it has received the highest customer satisfaction rates among the leading meal kit companies.
One of the best things about Home Chef is that they give their customers up to 20+ meal choices per week, with great flexibility of choosing your proteins in most meals. With so many options, customers will never get bored of their choices or even eat the same meal twice if they don’t want to.
Home Chef offers specific diet options, such as vegetarian, Mediterranean, and pescatarian meals, and low carb options to suit different lifestyles. The company also provides a dedicated plan, ‘Fresh & Easy’, for busy people with less time to cook. This plan offers oven-ready, microwave-ready, grill-ready, and fast 15 min meal kits for you to enjoy.
Their flexible services also let you customize your meals, like choosing your protein sources or doubling up the amount of proteins in your meals.
While you can get your meals every week by choosing the following week’s meal every Friday, you can also alter your schedule or skip a delivery at your discretion, leaving the choice totally up to you. Get a little as two meals a week or as many as six meals – That’s how flexible Home Chef is.
When you create your account, Home Chef asks a set of questions that let them know you and your preferences to offer selections based on what you love to eat. You can also stray from these recommendations and choose any other meal, but this makes things a little easier for you as you choose.
Breakdown of Home Chef Qualities
- Divers menu of 26 recipe choices every week.
- Option to customize your meals.
- Choose your Meals up to six per week in advance.
- 15-minutes fast meal kits and oven-ready meal options are available.
- Vegetarian, low-calories, pescatarian, low-carb meal options, and more.
- Ability to easily skip weeks when needed.
- Compatible price to the Hello Fresh service.
5. Martha and Marley Spoon
Meal Kit Company With Recipes from The Martha Stewart Kitchen
Martha & Marley Spoon is the brainchild of America’s queen of home cooking, Martha Stewart. Due to this service’s quality nature, we believe it is an excellent alternative to Hello Fresh. Martha & Marley Spoon is all about home cooking at its best.
Martha & Marley Spoon operates globally and has an excellent reputation for delivering classic recipes combined with an array of quality ingredients. In addition, your Martha & Marley Spoon delivery will include fresh seasonal produce and pre-portioned ingredients along with your selected recipes.
With Martha & Marley Spoon, you have the choice of two different plans. A two-person and four-person plan can include two, three, or four meals per week.
As a Martha & Marley Spoon customer, you will be able to choose from a menu that includes OVER 40 different recipes every week. The menu consists of many classic favorites and a selection of dishes from around the globe.
Dietary requirements are well catered. Each recipe selection is marked with unique dietary characteristics – like low-calorie per serving, dairy-free, no added gluten, and even kid-friendly.
Martha Stewart & Marley Spoon Benefits Summary
- All recipes are designed by the queen of classic home cooking herself – Martha Stewart!
- More than 40 tasteful meal selections to choose from every week.
- Flexibility to choose between two to four meals each week.
- The menu caters to gluten-free, low-carb, vegetarian, child-friendly, under 30 minutes, and more.
- Meals are categorized with specific dietary features.
- Very flexible service – skip weeks whenever necessary and cancel at any time without penalty. Choose meals from their weekly menu up to 2 months in advance.
- A unique menu feature of Martha & Marley Spoon is their Thanksgiving Box.
6. Home Chef ‘Fresh & Easy’ Plan
Alternative To Hello Fresh With Oven-Ready & Fast Meal Kits
Fresh & Easy Plan by Home Chef is another suitable alternative to the Hello Fresh service. Whether you have a large family or looking for an easy meal kit option for a couple, you are sure to love the convenience this specific plan has to offer. The fresh & easy program was designed to ensure your home cooking meals are quick and super easy to prepare, with minimum cooking time requirements. This plan is, without a doubt, an ideal option for busy people with hectic schedules.
The Home Chef Fresh & Easy Plan offers at least 12 weekly meals, including slow cooking meals, fast cooking meals designed to be ready in 15 minutes, grill-ready meals, oven-ready meals, and even pre-cooked meals that you will only need to heat and eat!.
Some popular Fresh & Easy meals:
- Hot Honey Chicken Tacos with Ranch Slaw and Crispy Onions – Oven-Ready meal
- Chicken Parmigiana with Rotini Pasta – Heat & Eat prepared meal.
- Chicken and Dumplings Gnocchi with Peas and Carrots – Oven-Ready
- Smoky BBQ Sliders with White Cheddar and Creole Potatoes – Grill-Ready meal
Breakdown of ‘Fresh & Easy’ Plan Qualities
- Easy prep meals for busy people – 15 minutes fast meal kits, oven-ready, microwave-ready meal options, and more.
- Divers menu every week.
- Option to customize the proteins in some meals.
- Choose your meals up to six per week in advance.
- Ability to easily skip weeks when needed.
- Compatible price to the Hellofresh service.
EveryPlate is another affordable alternative to Hello Fresh. EveryPlate is less about a gourmet cooking experience and more about providing meal kits that are tasty, convenient, stress-free, and accessible.
Like Dinnerly, EveryPlate manages to keep its prices down by using fewer ingredients in their simple recipes and less packaging in their delivery. Not only is EveryPlate an affordable choice, but it is also a very eco-friendly choice.
EveryPlate offers you the choice of two different plans. The two-person box provides three meals per week, six meals in total. The family box offers three meals per week for four people, so twelve meals in full.
The EveryPlate menu includes nine standard meals and one premium meal to choose from every week. Their meals tend to be quite classic and well known and are easy to prepare without sophisticated cooking techniques or too many utensils. This means less cleaning up afterward!!!!
While EveryPlate does not cater to any dietary requirements with a specific plan, they list any allergens in their recipes. They aim to include at least one vegetarian recipe every week.
Every Plate Offer Qualities Such As
- Affordable meal delivery service that offers good value for money.
- Meals that are easy to cook with no sophisticated cooking techniques required.
- Premium meals like steak or seafood are offered at only $3.00 extra to regular pricing.
- Less packaging is used than other meal kit services making it an eco-friendly option.
- Flexibility to skip weeks whenever necessary or pause your account whenever required.