An increase in food allergies and intolerances is a part of our modern life. Allergies and intolerances can range from irritating to life-threatening and include foods like tree nut allergies, dairy intolerances, soy intolerances, and gluten (coeliac disease).
Regardless of the type or severity of allergy that you might suffer from, it means meal planning is much more challenging! Catering to particular allergies can be time-consuming and overwhelming. Due to the nature of processed food, it can mean that certain ingredients are tough to avoid.
The beauty of using a meal delivery service when dealing with a dietary intolerance or allergy is that it will take much stress out.
Some Meal kit delivery services have a team of experts – chefs and professional dieticians – working together to craft a weekly menu that meets the requirements of any specific allergies needs. These services also look after grocery shopping and portion control for you!
A meal kit delivery service will allow you to broaden your culinary horizons without being hampered by specific dietary requirements. Enjoy a range of creative and delicious menus that will make evening mealtime enjoyable and stress-free.
This article will review the best meal kit delivery companies that provide allergy-friendly menus or plans. These companies offer choices that omit the most common food allergens, such as eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, wheat, soy, and so on.
Please note that the recommended companies are not all certified to be allergen-free. Their facilities can also deal with eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy. All meal kits or meals are individually packaged, and every care is taken to avoid cross-contamination. Still, as the facilities are not certified allergen-free, this CAN NOT be guaranteed.
We recommend that you DO NOT use these services if your allergy is severe or life-threatening due to the risk of cross-contamination.
1. Green Chef Gluten-Free-Friendly & Dairy-Free Meal Kit Service:
Green Chef is unique in that the company is a certified USDA organic meal kit service.
Their Keto&paleo plan is gluten and grain-free, and all their recipes clearly state what diets they would be suitable for. The company also offers dairy-free meals as part of its vegan and vegetarian meal plan.
The meal kits are filled with delicious, healthy, and all-organic ingredients, and the recipes are super easy to cook. Most ingredients come prepped – peeled and cut – and with the help of the recipe card, you can assemble a perfect dinner in no time.
With Green Chef, the ingredients are processed and packaged in the same facility, and cross-contact with all food allergens may occur. While the company follows best practices in food handling safety, trace amounts of allergens may accrue. Therefore, If you have a severe food allergy, please use your discretion.
Some Green Chef Menu Choices That Are Allergies-Friendly:
- Chicken with creamy lemon sauce, sautéed squash, Brussels sprouts, and hazelnuts – no gluten meal
- Barramundi with chipotle lime aioli, veggies, and almonds – no-gluten meal
- Kale & Beans Stuffed peppers with creamy chimichurri sauce, garlic-cilantro rice, and cashew “Parmesan” – no-dairy meal
- Kidney bean“MEATBALLS” with rice, paprika-Dijon aϊoli, corn & red pepper relish – no-dairy meal
2. Sunbasket Allergen-Free Friendly Meal kits & Pre-Made Meals
Sun Basket specializes in healthy organic eating, offering a range of meal kits and pre-made meals filled with the freshest seasonal ingredients.
Sun Basket is a specialist in dealing with allergies, and they offer an extensive menu that caters to many dietary requirements. Their weekly menu comprises 40+ varied dishes and includes choices for paleo, gluten intolerance friendly, dairy-free, soy-free, and more.
Sun Basket provides many allergy-friendly options, but it is important to note that their facilities also handle eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy. Therefore, we recommend that you DO NOT use the service if your allergy is severe or life-threatening.
Some Sun Basket Meals That are Friendly for Certain Food Allergies:
- Chicken Pozole with Tomatillos and Green Chiles
- Tex-Mex Chicken Salad with Grapefruit and Lime Chile Vinaigrette
- Red Curry Salmon with Basil and Kaffir Lime
- Mediterranean Turkey Kebabs with Carrot and Squash Ribbons
3. Home Chef Allergy-Friendly Meal Kits Selection
Home Chef is all about providing classic recipes that people love to eat. The meals are reassuringly familiar classics, but they always involve some new delicious twist.
Home Chef focuses on convenience, with meals that are easy to prepare and can be on the table within 15-30 minutes, and even some oven-ready or pre-made meals.
The company uses a network of trusted suppliers to provide meal kits with pre-portioned seasonal ingredients of excellent quality.
The company clearly marks all allergens on each meal option on their menu – even though it is important to note that their facilities can also deal with eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy. All meal kits are individually packaged, and every care is taken to avoid cross-contaminations – but as the facilities are not certified allergen-free, this cannot be guaranteed.
Some Home Chef Meals, Free Of Certain Allergens:
- Salmon and BLT Salad with Tuscan Herb Butter – no-added gluten meal
- Crispy Chicken with Maple Mustard Sauce, Brussels sprouts and peppers- dairy-free and Soy-free
- Beefy Empanada Rice Bowl with jalapeño chimichurri and crispy tortilla strips – no added gluten or soy.
- Bacon and Cheddar-Jack Meatloaf and Smoky BBQ Sauce with ranch green beans – no nuts.
4. Freshly Allergy-Friendly Prepared Meal Delivery Service
Freshly is our recommended number one allergy-friendly meal delivery service if you look for healthy meals with no cooking needed!
Each Freshly meal is perfectly sized for one person. Their fully-prepared meals are delivered fresh and ready to heat and eat in only 3 minutes of heating in the microwave. You will have lots of spare time and meals that your taste buds will love.
The primary allergy that Freshly supports is the gluten-free diet. The Freshly gluten-free meals are made in kitchens that are 100% certified by the Gluten Intolerance Group. Some of the kitchens store products containing gluten – however, all Freshly meals are prepared in a certified gluten-free safe spot. Moreover, Freshly also offers many soy-free meals and milk-free meals.
With Freshly, you have five plan sizes: 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 meals per week. Once you select your plan, you will get to pick your selection of chef-designed prepared meals from a weekly rotating menu of over 30 options.
Freshly Allergy-Friendly Meals To Try:
- Homestyle chicken with masterful mac & cheese – gluten-free and soy-free meal
- Spiced dukkah chicken with Persian apricot rice & cauliflower – gluten-free and soy-free meal
- Thai-ish lemongrass bowl with chicken & veggies – gluten-free and milk-free meal
- Pulled pork Al Pastor with cotija cheese & Mexican-style corn – gluten-free and soy-free meal
- Savory-sweet chicken teriyaki bowl with basmati rice & veggies – gluten-free and dairy-free meal
5. Dinnerly- An Affordable Meal Kit Service With Allergy-Friendly Meals
Dinnerly is one of America’s most affordable meal kit services, with meals that start at about $5 per serving. Dinnerly keeps its prices down by using simple recipes with only six ingredients per recipe and avoiding fancy packaging and marketing expenses.
The company uses a trusted network of suppliers that provide high-quality fresh ingredients.
The diverse dinner menu offers 25 different fuss-free recipes, with many meals marked as no-gluten added and milk-free.
We must say that their facilities do handle eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy. Hence, it is not recommended if you have a savvier allergy.
Dinnerly Menu Choices That Are Free of Certain Allergens:
- Stir-Fried Peanut Noodles with Blistered Green Beans & Edamame – free of dairy
- Seared Steak & Maple-Mustard Sauce with Roasted Potatoes & Carrots – no added gluten
- No-Skewer Chicken Kebabs with Onions, Peppers & Garlic Sauce – no added gluten
- Easy prep Tacos Al Pastor – no added gluten & free of dairy
6. Martha & Marley Spoon
Meal Delivery Service From the Queen of American Home Cooking
Martha & Marley Spoon is the meal kit company of the Queen of American home cooking, Martha Stewart. So, you know you are guaranteed to get classic recipes combined with quality ingredients that simply taste great.
Martha & Marley Spoon clearly lists any allergens in each recipe so you can quickly work out which recipe is suitable for your dietary needs. The menu offers specific categories for dairy-free meals, and no-gluten-added meals, and categorizes seafood meals.
Martha & Marley Spoon list any allergens in their recipes, even though we should say that their facilities do handle eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy. Hence, it is not recommended to use if you have a severe known allergy.
Martha & Marley Spoon Meals That Are Free of Certain Allergens
- Pan-Roasted Steak & Mustard Sauce with Sweet Potato Mash & Brussels Sprouts – no-gluten added
- Crispy Chickpea & Quinoa Salad with Dried Cherries & Feta – egg-free and nut-free
- Korean Beef Bulgogi Rice Bowl with Snow Peas & Kimchi Vinaigrette – no-gluten added
- Piri Piri Beef Meatballs with Shepherd Salad, Yogurt & Pita – Seafood free
Planning a weekly menu when you have a food allergy or on a diet that eliminates specific foods can be time-consuming and challenging.
Meal delivery companies may assure you of eating well while looking after your diet and lifestyle requirements. Moreover, meal kit companies deliver mouth-watering meals with a chef’s touch that will keep your menu fun and diverse. Lastly, you will spend less time grocery shopping and meal planning!